Terms and Conditions
Women’s McKenzie Friend service (The service) does not provide legal advice nor do we have trained or qualified lawyers. WMF provides a Women’s McKenzie Friend service to litigants in person who are involved with, or may be contemplating becoming involved with the Family private proceedings. WMF are not personally responsible or liable for decisions made by the client, the court or other parties or the resultant actions of the client, court or other parties.
An initial free phone/Skype or similar consultation with WMF is not considered as legally binding or a provision of legal advice. The caller understands this is a process to share information and discuss their situation, options and choices.
Any decisions or actions taken by the caller as a result of this initial free conversation are at their full responsibility and not that of WMF.
If you require advice as to the legal merits of your application or case please seek out legal advice from a qualified regulated solicitor. You can at any time seek legal advice from any qualified and professional legal advisor during your engagement with WMF.
WMF reserves the right to withdraw, suspend or cease to provide Women’s McKenzie Friend services at any time and for any reason, if we decide you are not someone we can support or continue to support. (WMF has a policy and procedure in place in the event that it becomes clear that support of the client is no longer appropriate due to safeguarding, ethical or criminal issues.)
Fee Structure and Payment of Fees
The following standard conditions of engagement apply to all work and assistance carried out by Women’s McKenzie Friend (WMF) unless specifically amended in writing by WMF prior to the commencement of the work.
The client is the person, company, or other body who instructs WMF to carry out the work. The contract is between the Client and WMF.
- The extent of the fees to be charged and the services to be provided will be agreed in writing, subject to availability, prior to the commencement of any services.
- Additional fees will be chargeable, on an hourly and pro rata hourly basis, for any further work, changes to the agreed or requested assistance or alterations/modifications to completed work. Such additional fees will be drawn to the client’s attention before such work is undertaken.
- WMF will make every effort to meet the agreed timescales for support services but cannot accept any responsibility for delays due to court cancellations or for any other professional and any subsequent consequential costs however caused.
- It must be recognised that cases can over run or change course, and as stated above can be cancelled. WMF may have prior case commitments which they cannot change or cancel and therefore be unable to attend court hearings or newly determined court dates. Similarly your WMF may be subject to illness or unforeseen appointment responsibilities. In these instances WMF may be unable to attend hearings. Therefore attendance at court is subject to availability and circumstances. WMF will always assist the litigant in person to find another McKenzie Friend to assist them: one who has adequate knowledge and experience in relation to the type of case. Any fees paid by the litigant in person to WMF regarding attending court will be reimbursed.
- Invoices will be rendered at different stages of the support package. All fees are currently exempt from VAT payments.
- In the case of completion of court documents, preparation of statements and support prior to the First Hearing.
- In the case of all support/attendance at court hearings then an invoice will be issued and must be paid 3 working days prior to the date of court attendance.
- In the case of subsequent support through preparation for Finding of Fact Hearing, Dispute Resolution Appointment, subsequent hearings and Final Hearing an invoice will be issued.
- In the case of attendance at all further hearings then an invoice will be issued and must be paid 3 working days prior to the date of attendance at court.
- In all other cases, by agreement which may include the invoice being rendered monthly on a lump sum or time charged basis, or on another agreed staged payment basis.
- The fees exclude travelling expenses, which are outlined on my website and terms of conditions. Unforeseen expenses or sizeable disbursement costs may be added to the account but these will be discussed with the client as early as possible, and certainly before they are incurred.
- Any fees payable to the courts or other consultants including expert witnesses that may be necessary to progress your case, will be excluded from WMF fee agreement and are payable directly by yourself, the client.
- Payment in full is due within 14 days of each invoice date, and specifically in the case of court attendance must be paid 3 working days in advance of the court date. If payment is not received then WMF has the right not to attend court as agreed.
- WMF will charge interest after 14 days from the date of invoice at a rate of 5% per month.
- Any costs incurred in pursuing unpaid invoices beyond the due date (including collection agency fees, court costs and any legal fees etc.) will be added to the outstanding amount and will be payable by the client.
- The litigant in Person is free to terminate their request for services at any time and for any reason. The litigant in Person is asked to give notice in writing. All fees incurred until that point will still be payable, including a cancellation fee of £100 for any pending court dates agreed.
Mentoring Services - Disclaimer
The Mentee recognises that the purpose of providing mentoring is to help you with your decision making process and not to provide advice on decisions you may take.
The Mentor is not responsible for the accuracy or completeness of any information provided to the Mentee. You are advised to take suitable independent professional advice before acting on any information, suggestion, or guidance given by the Mentor.
The Mentor will not, in any circumstances, be liable to you or to any third party for any loss, damage, cost or other liability which occurs as a result of, or in connection with providing mentoring services to you.
The Company; Women’s McKenzie Friend (WMF) is registered with the Information Commissioner's Office. We ensure that all information is stored confidentially and in adherence to the processing and protection of data requirements and GDPR.
We will maintain client confidentiality at all times, with the exceptions below:
We may discuss details of cases with appropriate professional organisations if we consider a child or children are, or could be at significant risk of harm. By agreeing to request the services of WMF, you acknowledge that these safeguarding measures will be put into effect in the event of serious concerns for a child or children.
At this stage WMF would terminate all services provided or due to be provided to you as it would be deemed inappropriate to continue either to provide any further services or engage in any dialogue about our concerns and issues raised around risks to children.
WWF may deem it necessary to share information to the appropriate professional organisation if there is a likely risk of significant harm to yourself or any other person.
We may also share information without consent to other professional agencies if we feel that it is proportionate and required where a crime has been committed or believed to be committed.
- The content of the pages of WMF website is for your general information and use only. Our website can be subject to change without notice.
- Nothing in this website constitutes professional or qualified legal advice. If you need legal advice, then please contact a qualified solicitor, lawyer or barrister. Any decisions you make or actions you take upon the information on our website is at your own risk and we do not acknowledge any liability arising from any use of such materials by any visitor to our site, or by anyone who may be informed of its contents.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is at your own risk for which WMF shall not be liable.
- Neither WMF nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, performance, timeliness or completeness of information within this website for any particular purpose or use. You acknowledge that the information and references may contain inaccuracies, errors or become out of date and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to WMF. This material includes, but is not limited to the logo, design, layout, look, appearance and graphics.
- Unauthorised use of this website may result in a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- Your use of WMF website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
- WMF do not accept liability in respect of any loss or corruption of any data, database or software.
- WMF website also contains links to other websites, provided for further information and consideration. They do not signify we endorse or promote the website(s) and make no warranty or representation as to the accuracy, completeness or fitness for purpose of any material on these sites. If you decide to purchase or obtain goods or services from any third party through these websites, then this will be entirely in accordance with the third party's terms and conditions and WMF will have no liability towards you.
Women’s Mckenzie Friend is a trading name of Women’s Mckenzie Friend Ltd.